Is there anything better in the fall that getting out and experiencing one of the best hikes in the Adirondacks? This part of Upstate New York is absolutely sensational in fall, with vibrant hues of red, orange, and yellow contrasting against the evergreens and sparkling blue of the lakes and rivers. Exploring the best hikes in the Adirondacks is one of the best ways to get up close and personal with the foliage.
As fabulous as the best hikes in the Adirodacks are, we know you’re really coming here to escape the busy hum of noise in the city, and to unplug in a way you simply can’t do at home. There’s no better place to enjoy a romantic Upstate New York Getaway than our boutique hotel in the Adirondacks.
With upscale rooms, exquisite farm-to-table dining, and our own private nature trails and beautiful grounds, Friends Lake Inn offers the ultimate Upstate New York Getaway. You won’t find anything else like it in the stunning Adirondacks region of Upstate New York. Treat yourself to something special this fall. Book a room at our #1-rated Romantic Getaway in Upstate New York.
10 of the Best Hikes in the Adirondacks
If you’re looking for the best hikes in the Adirondacks to enjoy this fall, we’ll be the first to tell you that there really are endless options. There are some big name hikes which should certainly be on your list, of course, but there are just any many lesser-known trails and hidden gems in the area. We’d even include our own private nature trails on a list of the best hikes in the Adirondacks, because here, you won’t encounter heavy crowds that you will on some other trails.
Finding the best hikes in the Adirondacks depends a bit on what you’re looking for, too. Are you looking for something closer to the Inn, or are you willing to drive an hour and sometimes more for those impressive views of Adirondacks fall foliage? Whatever it is, we’re here to help! We’ve compiled a list of what we consider ten of the best hikes in the Adirondacks below.
- One of the most best hikes in the Adirondacks that offers iconic mountaintop views of Adirondacks fall foliage is the 10.8-mile trek to Indian Head. You’ll also be treated to a great view of Rainbow Falls, one of the best waterfalls in the Adirondacks.
- If you’re looking for one of the best hikes in the Adirondacks for viewing fall foliage, consider heading to the fire tower lookout at Hadley Mountain. The hike is moderately challenging and just 2.6 miles in length.
- For great views of Lake George and southern Adirondacks, take the trek to Sleeping Beauty Mountain.
- If you’re looking for something easy, enjoy the two-for-one treat at Roaring Brook Falls. There’s plenty of reason to consider this one of the best hikes in the Adirondacks, but you’ll need to see it for yourself.
- Hike 3.1-miles to the summit of Crane Mountain, and enjoy exquisite views of the Adirondacks below.
- See the best of the Adirondacks from Castle Rock. This hike is 2.8-miles long and rewards hikers with both mountain and lake views. It’s always gorgeous but positively stunning in fall.
- High Falls on the Chateauguay River is a little farther from Friends Lake Inn, but it’s so stunning that it’s more than worth the effort. It’s a waterfall-focused hike surrounded by deep gorges, and it positively glows in the fall, making it one of our leading choices for the best hikes in the Adirondacks.
- Whiteface Mountain is the fifth-highest peak in the country and is easily one of the best hikes in the Adirondacks, especially in fall. It takes eight miles worth of effort to reach the summit, but the views from the top are unbelievable.
- Heaven Hills is a small trail network located minutes from downtown Lake Placid, making this a great place to enjoy some of the best hikes in the Adirondacks if you find yourself in the area for the day.
- Head to the top of Baker Mountain (aka Mount Baker), and enjoy views of the Village of Saranac Lake, the McKenzie Mountain Wilderness Area, and the High Peaks. The trail can be steep in sections and clocks in at around 1.8 miles.
Romantic Getaways in Upstate New York
There’s nothing more romantic than enjoying a bit of fall foliage in the Adirondacks. It’s the perfect place for couples seeking time and space to unplug and enjoy romantic getaways in Upstate New York. There’s plenty of time to squeeze it into busy schedules, too, as the Adirondacks actually boasts one of the longest seasons for fall foliage in the country.
You’ll start seeing hints of Adirondacks fall foliage in early September. The colors intensify over time and stick around well into October. That leaves you with a long season to get out and enjoy the best hikes in the Adirondacks and to unplug and enjoy the most romantic getaways in Upstate New York.
Whether you’re coming to the Adirondacks to enjoy the best hikes in the Adirondacks or would rather passively observe the changing foliage with scenic drives and romantic walks around our property, our Upstate New York hotel offers the perfect cozy, romantic spot to curl up for a few days. In fact, a few days here is the perfect antidote to busy schedules and loud city noise.
We offer a broad range of guest rooms to choose from, all uniquely decorated and outfitted with high-end amenities. We even have a secluded cabin for those more intimate and romantic getaways you crave. What are you waiting for? Don’t miss your chance to the best hikes in the Adirondacks this fall. Book your romantic getaways in Upstate New York today!!