There are many things to do in the Adirondacks NY, especially during the glistening and magical winter months. It is a breathtaking time of year as you look out over snow-covered trees and mountain tops. In the Adirondack mountains, we are always ready for adventure in our winter wonderland. This preserved wilderness becomes a giant playground in which to immerse yourself in the frozen beauty.
At our hotel in the Adirondacks, you’ll find the ideal getaway this winter! We are perfectly located in the Adirondack mountains at the center of many amazing attractions and places to see. At our boutique hotel, you’ll have 18 gorgeously appointed guest rooms to choose from. Our Adirondack hotel is situated on land with private access to trails as well as a private lake across the road – so no need to worry about crowds you might otherwise encounter at other properties. You will feel as if you are at your own forest retreat. Soak in the solitude on the quiet private trails where it is just you and the deer. If you are ready for the ultimate escape this winter, book your stay with us today!
Exciting things to do in the Adirondacks this Winter
When the snow falls, the amount of things to do in the Adirondacks goes way up! The mountains open up endless possibilities of different ways to take advantage of this magical time of year. From things you’d expect like amazing skiing to more unusual activities like going for a dog-sled ride, there are a plethora of things to choose from when visiting this impressive area.
Remember to pack your boots, hat, gloves, and layers! Here are 9 fun wintertime things to do in the Adirondacks.
- The best ski mountains in New York can be found in the Adirondack Mountains. The area is full of places that offer a wide range of downhill skiing and snowboarding. From novice to expert you are sure to find the best place for your ski adventure. Places like Gore Mountain, West Mountain, and Oak Mountain are all short drives so you can hit the slopes as quickly as possible.
- A snowmobile tour is a great way to see the wilderness of the Adirondacks in winter. C+C Adirondack Snowmobiling Tours offers one or two-hour tours through the backwoods. Great for beginners to more advanced levels.
- Snowshoeing through a quiet mountain forest is one of the more peaceful things to do in the Adirondacks this winter. In addition to the private trails at Friends Lake Inn, many locations around the Chestertown area such as Oak Mountain, Dynamite Hill Recreation Center and Nature Trail, and Crandall Park offer miles of trails and areas to explore. This is a fantastic way to work out while getting immersed in the surrounding winter beauty.
- Ice skating is a classic and fun activity to do in the Adirondacks during the colder months. Crandall Park has a pond that freezes over every winter. Skating in the outdoors in a picturesque setting is how it was meant to be! Other places to skate include, Dynamite Hill Recreation Area, Lake George, and Gurney Lane Recreation Area. It’s a must-do of things to do in the Adirondacks NY this winter!
- Imagine being sent down an ice-covered chute onto a frozen lake and traveling more than 1,000 feet! Up in Lake Placid, you can have this exhilarating experience at the Lake Placid Toboggan Chute. Unforgettable on a list of things to do in the Adirondacks NY.
- Of all the things to do in the Adirondacks NY this winter taking a hike would be the most relaxing and easiest as you don’t need anything but yourself. Gurney Lane offers different trails that meander through a winter forest. A moderate 3.3 round trip hike up Prospect Mountain will lead you to sweeping wintertime views of Southern Lake George and the surrounding mountains.
- One of the most romantic of all the things to do in the Adirondacks NY is to go on an old fashioned sleigh ride! At Circle B Ranch they offer group or private rides. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy the gorgeous winter scenery.
- Dog Sledding is definitely one of the more unique things to do in the Adirondacks NY. Riding behind a team of dogs has long been a way that winter residents have historically gotten around. Today you can experience what it feels like by taking a dog sled ride with an experienced guide. At Thunder Mountain Dog Sled Tours you’ll fly over Mirror Lake on your sled and into the Adirondack Wilderness. Another place to try out this unforgettable activity is Mike Arnold Sled Rides.
- There’s nothing like gliding across the snow in the Adirondack mountains in the winter. This is easily one of the best things to do in the Adirondacks NY this winter. Gore Mountain, Garnet Hill Outdoor Center, and Dynamite Hill all offer miles of fantastic trails to explore by skis.
The Best Adirondack Getaway
After exploring all the things to do in the Adirondacks NY, you’ll need a cozy, comfortable, and upscale place to unwind. At our hotel in the Adirondacks, you’ll have the option of 18 gorgeous and elegantly appointed guest rooms to choose from. Accommodations are each unique and reflective of the rustic beauty of the surrounding area.
In your spacious and private room, you’ll get a great night’s sleep on your bed fitted with plush linens. You’ll see amazing views outside your windows and feel as if you have your own private forest retreat in the Adirondacks. If you are ready for the ultimate place to relax and rejuvenate this winter, book your stay with us today!